Sunday, January 14, 2024

Sunday Surgery: Angels and Airwaves



Part of me wanted to split the blog in two because the shows on Wed/Thursday were just stand alone gems. BUT, in the interest of time and getting things done, I will do the entire week. 

You all know I cried like a baby on Thursday. I don't cry anymore--not like that anyway. It was so unexpected and just hit me in the right spot. I didn't see any speculation about who "Angela" was before Wednesday's show, so I was still going the route of it was a relation to Luke/Bobbie. By Thursday I "got it" and just was jelly. 

So, let's have angel food cake and discuss! 


When writers are left to their own devices, things seem to turn out just wonderful. Frank even said in an article that Dan and Chris get the credit for this. KUDOS. And THANK YOU. Welcome back. All the stuff--and please write more self-contained episodes! 


THE WEEK THAT WAS NOT BOBBIE:   Let's start with my favorite part, shall we? QUEEN AVA telling Esme to basically FK right off and sending her to trial. Pressing those charges because as she put it, Es never paid for ANYTHING she did in the past so let's just serve up a bit of justice today. Laura? OMG Who else wanted to smack her? I get she's your great grandson's mother but... um.. stop being so naive. And PS, Esme crying her face off being led to the cell was just delicious. 


Curtis got his operation..but we still don't know if it worked. The family was there and Trina told him she was going to Paris and that Spencer was coming as well. I guess we will find out next week if he can feel his legs again? Will it be a miracle cure or...?? Part of me says YEP, he'll just get up and walk and the other part says it will be another journey. 


Dex's dilemma ... would he kill for his master, Sonny? Sonny sure thinks he should. Dex is a bit more rational and realizes it's a stupid, dangerous plan. Sonny doesn't care. He's being irrational after the Nina revelation and might be on a manic bender. Either way, Dex says he'll do it. When he goes to GH however, Nina is there to see Cyrus instead. DUN DUN DUN.... (we all know this is a lead up to St. Jaysus returning so whatever happens is probably moot) 


He's back... for another minute!! I was sort of hoping that Nikolas was in Ava's head and no one else would see him. She could do all sorts of things ala "Fight Club"!! But, alas, he's walking around. PC. I was SHOCKED...SHOCKED I tell you when Spencer opened the door and he was standing there!! HOLY HELLO!! So my reaction is this: How is this going to get Spencer off canvas long enough to make his mini-series? WILL NC need a lot of time off? I was thinking he'd go to Paris ahead of Trina to 'set things up" living wise--but now the wrench of Esme going to jail is in my face. Will he leave his brother if she's in the pokey? Yes, I want Sprina to go to Paris. I think it will be a great story and they can film a lot of it before he leaves and insert it here and there. Trina can come back home and visit and he'll be doing something in France. (looking at a vineyard to buy is my idea). BUT NOW?? Hmmmm... I thought Nik was going to pop up at the courthouse and demand custody. BUT he can't because he's a wanted man. Dang. Hmmm. I'm excited to see the scenes with these two for sure. 



THE PARTS WITH BOBBIE:  By the time the sign was turned over, I was a puddle on the floor. I LOVED that Elizabeth painted it. LOVED that Lucas, Carly and Laura were there to see it first. I know this is controversial but the Kelly's haven't been on the show since the 80s. This is so meaningful going forward. "Let's go to Bobbie's" will be said SO MUCH! Also, I do think Rose Kelly would give her stamp of approval. 




I'm not going into who was there and who wasn't. I think they did what they could with who was available and who they could fit. The funeral was wonderful and Kin was just the shining light I needed. It wasn't "Scotty" we were seeing, that was Kin, grieving for his friend, Jackie. Everyone in that room was grieving for the person they knew outside of GH. So hard to watch but so beautiful. 





How can I even express my feelings on this little arc we experienced? I can't really...it was magical and just such a perfect touch to this memorial. Not only was the reporter Barbara Jean, she was the original actress that played her! 


Special shout out to Lynne Herring and Jane Elliot. Wow. The scenes with them in the church were so good. Both of their voices just shook and you KNEW they were just feeling it. I remember they were at the Habitat For Humanity build together with Jackie-- and I wish I had photos of them all together. 


AMSTERDAM:  In a time travel that rivals anything I've ever seen, Carly and Felicia fly to Amsterdam to find the woman that Bobbie was trying to help. Did you know it was Human Trafficking Awareness Day on the 11th? Felicia and Carly found the contact, flew to Canada, rescued Cornelia AND came back to Port Charles. MAGIC! It just WORKED.  You have to watch it to understand. Just watch Thursday's show. SO GOOD. 

ANGELS 


"CHAMP"... that word, uttered by "Angela" when Lucas was turning away just sealed everything. Lucas had told everyone that Tony called him that and BJ would make fun of him with it. When Lucas realized and turned and she was gone? GAH... Pass the Puffs. 


PERFORMER OF THE WEEK/MONTH/YEAR: I said it last week when she found out about Bobbie, this had to have been hard for her given her year. I can't say enough about how she handled the BJ revelation. I was tearing up and then just started burst out when she did. SO Good. I also liked that she and Carly talked about what Carly did to Bobbie. Instead of Carly talking about Maxie I wish she would have said "You're right, I was so wrong and I was such a different person then" (nod to OG Carly).  


In the end, I really appreciated the effort that went into Jackie's farwell. Having Ryan come back and the BJ actress was the cherry on top. It was really hard watching Friday after being so emotional the other days! 

Hope you found it to your liking as well. I felt like such a part of a family watching. Cheers! 




20 comments:

  1. Where did you "snag" the old pictures, or did you have them? I am curious, how much older was BJ than Lucas? And, that is such a lovely picture with Jackie and Sonya. Lovely tribute to Jackie Zeman and the actors that knew Jackie were definitely grieving for real :)

    I know some don't agree that Kristina Wagner is a great actress, but I disagree. Felicia has been one of my favorites since the day she arrived on the show, and I do think she is a very good actress. I do feel for her, because losing her son must be so, so hard.

    Many of the actors and actresses this week have been friends with Jackie for so long, and she and Kin were friends off screen as well if I recall correctly and from seeing photos.

    Bobbie's tribute this week was very well done. Kudos.

    Thanks as always Karen for all your hard work!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found some on Google and some on pintrest. Pintrest has a lot of vintage GH photos..just search. I do love KW as well... I always did. Letting her shine like this was just such a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great review, Karen.

    I also hope they have more more self-contained episodes. This one was fantastic. I see many awards in thei future.

    P.S. BJ was 3 years older,lindie


    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Jackie Z when I was on the GH set. She was sooo warm and friendly. She was a tiny, petite woman in scrubs (or maybe she just seemed short because I am so tall). I met her and Monica on the same day, both are unforgettable women. Bobbie and Monica used to be BFFs. Does anyone else remember the scene in the kitchen where they had a food fight, then collapsed on the floor laughing? I think they should have shown this scene as a flashback, and also that Monica should be front and center grieving Bobbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and I think LC just couldn't do it--they had her on in December (which I think she filmed in Nov?) and I bet boots she would have made it if she could have. There were SO many flashbacks to include. It was telling there was zero with Tony G unless I missed them. MUST be a rights issue/payment

      Delete
    2. I think Leslie C would have done the funeral if she could have. IDK; seems her health is not so great :(

      Delete
    3. PS I don't want Monica recast at all; just mentioned once in awhile besides a conference.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for another great SS!
    I was crying just reading your recap. What they did in those two days was truly magical. The whole thing including the time travel. We now know that they can do it and hope that a real life tragedy is not the only reason that this type of story telling can be done on GH all of the time.
    Being a mob boss and being a cold blooded killer are two different things.
    Nik should be a recast. Someone new. Dark and princely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the first here who said that the name shouldn't be changed to Bobbie's. After watching Thursday's episode, I'll admit I was wrong. Changing the name to Bobbie's was perfect and I agree Rose Kelly would approve. She was another of Bobbie's friends.

    My eyes were teary all through Thursday's show but Angela/BJ's interviews got me. Especially Lucas and BJ calling Lucas Champ. I could see her sadness at that point. Then Felicia broke me when she and Maxie's realized it was BJ.

    Thursday was an Emmy award winner. GH write more stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Karen! I hope you are staying warm and safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last 5 minutes...
    https://www.facebook.com/generalhospital/videos/357079046946130

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh damn now I'm crying all over again! The Felicia and Maxie scene together just got me chills!!!

      Delete
  8. Awwww! Beautiful picture of Bobbie, Tony, BJ and Lucas!!! :) I don't think Bobby and Tony had a couple name. Hmmmm Bobthany! :) Tony is short for Anthony, so... Bobthany! :)

    "When writers are left to their own devices, things seem to turn out just wonderful. Frank even said in an article that Dan and Chris get the credit for this. KUDOS. And THANK YOU. Welcome back. All the stuff--and please write more self-contained episodes!"

    YAY! Leave them alone from now on Frank!

    "How is this going to get Spencer off canvas long enough to make his mini-series? WILL NC need a lot of time off? I was thinking he'd go to Paris ahead of Trina to 'set things up" living wise--but now the wrench of Esme going to jail is in my face. Will he leave his brother if she's in the pokey? Yes, I want Sprina to go to Paris. I think it will be a great story and they can film a lot of it before he leaves and insert it here and there. Trina can come back home and visit and he'll be doing something in France. (looking at a vineyard to buy is my idea)."

    Yeah that sounds good to me! Go to Paris and buy a vineyard! Then Trina can come back home to visit. Yes. :)

    "I know this is controversial but the Kelly's haven't been on the show since the 80s."

    Yeah you are right..

    "This is so meaningful going forward. "Let's go to Bobbie's" will be said SO MUCH!"

    Awwww! Yeah! So meaningful!! I'll get used to it. :)

    "Also, I do think Rose Kelly would give her stamp of approval."

    I think so too.

    "How can I even express my feelings on this little arc we experienced? I can't really...it was magical and just such a perfect touch to this memorial. Not only was the reporter Barbara Jean, she was the original actress that played her!

    So beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So magical yes!!! Thank you writers!!!

    ""CHAMP"... that word, uttered by "Angela" when Lucas was turning away just sealed everything. Lucas had told everyone that Tony called him that and BJ would make fun of him with it."

    OH! I thought Lucas was saying BJ called him champ. Oh Tony!!! Awwwwwwww! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe Nickolas steals the baby when Esme's in jail.

      Delete
    2. "Di says, I think maybe Nickolas steals the baby when Esme's in jail."

      And then Spencer has to go find them instead of going to Paris with Trina!!

      Delete
    3. Exactly... unless Nicholas is with him....hehe

      Delete
    4. "Di says, Exactly... unless Nicholas is with him....hehe"

      Hmmm. Ooooo! Nik did say he was leaving!!!! :)

      Delete
  9. I watched Wednesday and Thursday episodes again - and watching it again I completely changed how I felt about Lucas......I didn't like how I felt he was neglected - especially Laura not hugging him....................but rewatching so many camera shots on him showed a man losing his mom and being stoic and not showing much emotion. I think Ryan Carnes did an amazing job......so raw...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched Wednesday's episode yet, my father died a couple of years ago and I couldn't be there, so I don't know how much of blubber crier I'll be. However, I agree with you, mufasa, about how Lucas was handling his mother's death. As the women in my family would say he was just like our men locking his emotions down in public and letting it out in private. One of the times I blubbered on Thursday's episode was when Lucas was talking to "Angela". It seemed like he was barely holding it together. And then BJ gets me at the end calling him "Champ". It looked like BJ was barely holding it together there.

      For the love of all the soap gods, bring Ryan Carnes back! He is an outstanding actor and Lucas is a legacy character. There are so many storylines he could be in.

      Delete
  10. I was a blubbering mess, too. "Champ" had me crying, Felicia had me sobbing. And thank you so much for recognizing the wonderful work of Kristina W. I've always loved her, and she deserves every accolade she gets. I don't mind Kelly's being renamed at all and I totally agree, Rose would approved. Thank you for a lovely SS. :)

    ReplyDelete

Another Day

  It's time to try to watch the show.  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------...