To me, fallout is when a story line hits its mark and there is an immediate repercussion. And then months down the road, another character(s) is hit with a repercussion that was unexpected. Right now, the Nina/Sasha story line has the immediate outcome but because Sasha is with Michael, there is an outside consequence of the two of them which will happen with the baby story line.
Another example is the painting of Helena. When her will was read, did anyone think that months later the painting would come back as a pivotal story line? (Even more surprising is if the writers planned this all along.)
Naturally, I asked Karen if she can think of any story line that has the MOST fallout and the MOST characters affected by it. Of course Karen stepped up to the plate and readily said...
Jason's Brain Damage from AJ's driving. (1995)
This is interesting because all these years later, we are STILL dealing with the fact that Jason was forever altered that fateful day.
- Jason estranged himself from the Quartermaines except for Emily and Lila-changed his last name to Morgan.
- Jason didn't become the doctor he was destined to be. Instead of saving lives, he took lives
- AJ never recovered from causing the accident (no one let him forget it either) and he took up drinking, snarky behavior and made a series of bad choices.
- Monica lost her Jason to the windshield and AJ to the hands of Sonny, who forever hated him for numerous reasons--including the fact that Michael was his biological father. Would Sonny ever have gotten near Carly if not for Jason?
- Michael--raised by Jason. Jason would have been busy at GH an would have had no time for that nonsense.
- Bodies in the Pine Barons: May have been alive if not for Jason killing them. Yes, Sonny would have had another Number One but it wouldn't have been Jason.
- Lastly, the wardrobe department needed to order 600 black tshirts, still used to this day.
Of course, given the rich history of soaps, quite a few stories
could be said to have caused "fallout". What are yours?
You don't even have to stick to GH!! Let us know in the comments.