General Hospital Recaps, News and Fun! FB: Wubs Net/ Bluesky: GHwubsnet and Twitter Wubsnet
Monday, August 28, 2017
Half Moon Cookies
Here in WNY, our Half Moon cookies look like the above. Most places make a chocolate or a yellow vanilla cake cookie. They are as big as the palm of your hand and have buttercream frosting on top.
NYC's black and whites have a shortbread cookie, not a cake cookie and are smaller. Ours were started in Utica, NY in 1925. Most people here in Rochester like Wegmans' Half Moons better-- I think it's the frosting, not sure!
You can get a recipe here: In a Pinch Recipes. (for the Chocolate kind). Well, this was off topic but maybe Kelly's will start selling Half Moons some day!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brownstone --Your Wednesday GH Filler!
Show of hands. Who remembers the Brownstone? It was 40 years ago. Does that make you feel old? Karen has been mentioning that it needs to re...
-
Laura's "Drew Face" It's perfection! I got Seven vibes with the whole BOX situation!! On Friday, all of use were ye...
-
BRITT SAYS: it's green jello day in the cafe today... Franco prancing around in the showers--- Felix in a towel. Tranco asks him for ...
-
Another summer week, another lack-luster showing from GH. Sorry but I'm just not feeling it at ALL this quarter. With lack-luster newb...

I grew up eating B & W cookies in NYC, and it seems all the stores have them here in the DC area in some form or another. Just ate one as a matter of fact!
ReplyDeleteLindaV
Now we we all want to eat one! Thanks for the clarification, Karen. In NYC, in the bakeries, the Black & Whites are giant, then they sell them in supermarkets in boxes, those are smaller.
ReplyDeleteAntJoan, those are the ones I remember well! I also miss the Chinese cookies-do you know what those are?
ReplyDeleteLindaV
Linda, not sure what those are . . . Do you mean fortune cookies, or something else?
ReplyDeleteThey were big round cookies, sort of like a shortbread, with a small chocolate circle in the middle.
ReplyDeleteLindaV
Linda,
ReplyDeleteYou might be thinking of almond cookies. Some Chinese places make them with a chocolate center
Dar, these cookies had nothing to do with Chinese and I don't know why they were called that. They were a sort of dry cookie about three inches in diameter and had a small circle of chocolate icing on top. They were sold in bakeries. Maybe I am really dating myself and it was so long ago only I remember, LOL.
ReplyDeleteLindaV
Thanks for clearing that up Karen. Yeah, I've never had/seen them before. I'll have to keep an eye out for them now, and give them a shot, if I can find them anywhere! Though, I'd definitely like them better were they all vanilla. For some reason, I've just never really been a chocolate person. A few pieces of candy every once in awhile, pretty much fills my quota.
ReplyDeleteK