Friday, September 11, 2026

Remembrance

 


I was going to just do a typical filler today until I realized it was the 11th. I just want to say a few things --and I know you're surrounded by memories but this has to do with the soap community. In 2001 the internet was just blooming. I was on the AOL soap boards at the time and we posted daily about life and our show, GH. I was also on Soap Zone. That day, numb and scared, I logged in and found people to talk and grieve with. I was home alone and didn't quite know what to do. People who I had never met in person were there to just BE with and process things. That bond has lasted for a long long time. 
If you ever get the chance to go to the memorial in NYC, it's well worth your time. The underground is harrowing but captures the tone and tenor of that day while honoring those that were in the towers and also the heroic first responders. We have also been to Shanksville PA at the site of flight 93. Also worth the time and drive. 

See you on Sunday. 

12 comments:

  1. Working in an office just north of Philadelphia. We were shocked at the first plane and everyone thought it was an accident. When the second tower was hit we all knew that it wasn’t. They let us all go home if we wanted to and we all did. Internet was in its infancy then. And we sat home and watched the TV and we called friends that lived in New York to make sure they were OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "david says, We were shocked at the first plane and everyone thought it was an accident."

      Yeah I thought it was an accident too! So I turned off the tv to take a shower, but then after that, I turned the tv back on, and I was confused about why they are still talking about it. Oh it wasn't an accident!!!! What a sad day. :(

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this Karen. I have not been, but my husband has. Thinking of everyone on this day. I was home with my almost 2 year old daughter when my husband called me to turn on the t.v. Blessings everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen. Watching the remembrances and seeing the videos of that day 25 years ago brings it all back so clearly. I was at work when the first plane hit and we all watched on tv as the rest transpired. It's hard to think about anything else today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it's really appropriate to put my comments on today's GH on here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was at the Pentagon. My office wasn't in the building but we could see it from our windows. Everyone in my directorate evacuated to our office; we stayed busy doing a head count and making sure everyone called home to let their loved ones know they were okay. We were lucky and didn't lose anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I live in the DC area, too. My office is in Falls Church on the 6th floor and we saw the plane headed down Columbia Pike, which is not the usual fight path of the river. Then we saw flames as it it hit the Pentagon . You were very lucky.
      LindaV

      Delete
  6. I can't believe it's been 25 years. Wow where has the time gone? I feel old. Oh and I put my GH comments on Thursday's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry. I didn't see this post yesterday. I, too, was in an office with co-workers crowded around one tv. When the second plane hit, I didn't exactly know what building my relative worked in but I felt I had just been pummeled in the gut. I felt like I could not breathe. I just knew he had died right then, right there.
    Anyway, thanks soap opera blog friends. My hour of General and reading this page are my happy happy place to escape for at least a few minutes. Sonya....of all days...please don't even consider skipping. The distraction was really needed.

    ReplyDelete

PERIGRINE FALCONS

  Sad news. Robert Kelker-Kelly who played Stavros on GH has passed away at the age of 62. I really enjoyed his portrayal of that Cassadine ...