Tuesday, September 29, 2026

A Black and White Movie Day


Normally when I put together a filler for Karen's day off / hair appointment, it is usually GH themed. There have been a handful of times when I went off-topic and threw something together from left field. This is one of those times.





A friend of mine (yes, I still have a few) was talking with me about the greatest movies of all time. He is younger than me so naturally, his list was filled with Star Wars and Harry Potter. My list started forming and I noticed that it was a lot of black and white films from a bygone age. (Although Godfather was on the list, I am after all half-Italian)





I decided to compile a top 10 list of nothing but black and white films. (sorry, Vito). These truly are, to me, the best of the best. My number one would be The Last Picture Show with All About Eve a really close second. Third would be Casablanca. How many of these have you seen? Are there any black and white films (and they are called films, not movies) that you have seen and enjoyed? What did I miss?




 

Oh, and this is the blog for the day. Please leave your comments below.
I know we have to keep saying that when we do filler. 






Karen's FAVE Black and White Movie:  Mildred Pierce starring Joan Crawford. What a SOAPY SOAP of a movie!! I love it.  There's a little GH connection because the Laura/Leslie/David Hamilton story was similar. 


And now everyone, on with the show... 


Some fun facts:

Suddenly, Last Summer was the ONLY time that Katharine Hepburn got second billing to another actress (Elizabeth Taylor) in a film.

In Stage Door, Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, Lucille Ball and Eve Arden all appeared together BEFORE any of them were really famous. Can you imagine these 5 legends on a set together, not knowing they were sharing the stage with Hollywood Royalty?

For The Last Picture Show, Cloris Leachman did her dramatic scene once and told Peter Bogdonavich "let me do it again, I can do it better" and he said "no, you can't. You just won the Oscar". And, she did.

Psycho was the first time a toilet flushed in a film.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Black and White Movie Day

Normally when I put together a filler for Karen's day off / hair appointment, it is usually GH themed. There have been a handful of time...