Sunday, July 19, 2026

SUNDAY SURGERY: SIXTEEN CANDLES

 


In case you didn't realize all the "16" references, our paparazzi pal Sloan got them for you. Clever but really not a huge celebration of the show. 


Grab your 16 scones and jam and let's GO GO ! 



HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO:  So, the 16K show was presented to us on Monday and I have to say I was underwhelmed. The biggest thing to happen was Jason coming back to Port Charles. A mere shell of his former self and suffering from PTSD flashbacks, he has some Danny scenes, one with Tracey and then leaves again for like a week. At least they didn't drag out his homecoming for days but interesting that no one else even knows he's home. 



NAMED AFTER:  On the plane we are introduced to Tristan Roberts, named after the actor that played Robert Scorpio. He's reading a Travel Guide to Port Charles which I guess was a 16,000 easter egg of sorts. He gets to GH, meets Liz and Tracey then goes to his "B&B" which is Bobbie's. There's some really forced scenes with him and Britt arguing over who gets the room. She thinks it's still hers even though she fled the country and the WSB took all of her stuff for evidence. As far as the new guy, I'll reserve judgement but so far you could put him over with Joe and I'd be like: Who's Who? 



OF COURSE IT'S SONNY: What really got me was the whole "Sonny needs to be on the Hospital Board" bit that Laura shoved in there. Really? At least Tracey was there to remind us he shot and killed AJ. Did it matter? Hell no! Nurse Liz flounced in and declared her GRANDPARENTS --the OGs of GENERAL HOSPITAL would absolutely LOVE to have him on the board. Color me pissed right off. I realize this was a nod to history but--really?? REALLY? We get you've been trying for decades to dismiss Corinthos' crimes but this? Come on now. 




BABY BABY:  So, in a true soap 101 moment, Jordan helps Portia give birth to her baby boy. I'm so glad that kid is OUT, aren't you? He's definitely adorable. The birthing scenes themselves were way lackluster and the aftermath just made me sad. Why? Even Isaiah was a jerk coming into the room when Stella told him not to. Curtis had to have a face on--Stella had to wag that finger to tell the couple to "get their act together for the baby's sake". Trina? Well, she finally got in on it but it wasn't anything to write home about. I don't know, just didn't hit right for me at all. 



SPEAKING OF TRINA:  Who picked that song for her to sing? Lordy. She has a great voice but that song was just not good. The fact that they want Gio with her as a 'duo' is pretty funny but I guess it's a way to give him something to do besides work at Bobbie's and the pool. Kai was hanging around too, adding his usual nothing to each scene. Trina then got to meet her brother and then.. DUN DUN DUN...confront Joss about everything that's been happening all this time. I was waiting for these scenes and in a way, I wasn't disappointed. Trina gave it to Joss for being a crappy friend and basically ghosting everyone to become a spy. Joss explained the whys and whatnots but the simple fact that these two have not connected in AGES showed. No, Joss couldn't tell her about the WSB but it really just chucked their friendship into the void. In the end they were all teary, promised a 'do over' and decided to use "POPCORN" as their code word for "I can't talk about it".  Um'Kay. 



SEEING THINGS:  Well, we know Peter followed Anna to PC and is now telling her she's going to get revenge on...?? Who knows. Right now it looks like it might be Britt. After a lackluster reunion with Valentin, Anna goes to talk to Joss and then confront Britt at GH.  She calls out Britt for being selfish and awful just like her father Faison.  Britt's a bit taken aback since hey--she DID get bamboozled by the baddies that she had Huntington's disease. The girl thought she was going to die a slow painful death. Your reaction to these scenes totally depends on where you are with your Britt love or hate. They are making her pretty insufferable and she's lost every smooth edge she did when she left the first time, so it's a bit hard to root for her.  I think she also lost all of her wardrobe back on the island. 



STILL TRAPPED: Over at Drew's, yes he's still in his wheelchair but now he can move and Kai knows something is up. I think we are all SO OVER this story that unless he gets up and attacks someone out of the blue, it's going to be a dud no matter what happens. Do I think the 'campaign finances' thing is anywhere near enough to keep him quiet? No way. This is another instance of writing into a corner and hoping we will swallow what follows. Drew really should be killed at this point to shut him up but that's not going to happen. Unless CM got really tired of sitting in that chair and wants out of his contract. That's our only hope. 



THE BLACK BOX: So there's this black box that Jack had with a bunch of secret stuff in it. Cullum stole it,  Brennan is searching for it and Valentin took it.  It has some gas-locked booby-traps on it as well. Oh heavens to Betsy, how will they ever open it? What the hell is in there anyway? The Drew campaign fund stuff? You can't find that again on some hard drive? Also see: All the secrets seem to be out, right? Since Z didn't touch it, it's not going to tell anyone Cassius is alive. Anyway, Val wants it so his funds are released faster. In one of the more funny moments, Carly actually trips over the stupid thing in her kitchen. Val just set it on the floor like a bag from Wegmans. heh. 



COWBOY BLUES: For some reason, Cody was chosen to tell James about his Nathan/Cassius father situation. I suppose it was to create some drama with Cody but Mac and Felicia are right there. Oh, Maxie couldn't come home? I honestly don't know why she's not been recast. She should have been weeks ago so even if we had a new-temp James it wouldn't have been awkward. BUT NOPE. By the way, KS was temp recast about 16 times in the past so why not now? Getting on with the Cody/James scenes: they were dulled by the replacement kid for sure. The real actor was hurt badly in a bike accident so I get it. Still wish they could have waited somehow. James reaction was to get mad a Cody and still love his oompa ..oma? who explained it to him gently. Cody is just SO upset. Molly comforts him with S'mores. 




EATING FACE:  Yep, this finally happened. We knew it would and it did. 



LINE OF THE WEEK:  "I liked you better when I thought you were dying"....Lucas to Britt. 




OTHER THINGS: 

Rocco hates Gio and Danny hates Rocco and... you know, teens. 

Ava went to see Brook who was suspicious of her motives.

Lulu whined all week about Charlotte and Cassius and Rocco and....

Emma got a bit miffed that Gio might want to actually make music

Sonny hired Brick to get some dirt on Valentin to get him out of Carly's life :eyeroll: 

Molly and Cody say "I love you" to each other

Valentin assures Carly he's not that into Anna and cooks for her to prove it

Is Michael even on anymore? We know Olivia, Ned and Leo are gone. That Q house is empty




NEWS:  Take a gander at GH's Daytime Emmy Nominations on the link. It's hard to know who submitted and who didn't but GH sure got shut out of some major categories for acting! I have to believe Jane Elliot didn't get her work in there because she would have gotten one in a heart-beat. Also, Erika Slezak for her guest role as Ronnie was pretty spectacular.  I think the show will just be streaming this year but I'll keep you posted. 




That's about all I have for today! Remember we still have NuScout to debut, Serena Baldwin has yet to pop up and of course, the trifecta of bland-guys  "Hudson" is going to be a mysterious business person. Will Molly take the case against Sidwell or go off on her book tour? Will Ava and Ethan tumble into bed? Will Sonny ever mention Avery again? What about Deceptions face creams that rely on that weird mineral? Willow asks Chase to go to DC with her. Um, if he DOES go he's even dumber than I thought. How can she be going to DC with no meds for Drew? Why the hell isn't Brad around? I fear we are entering a more dull portion of the year because everything just popped off with the Cold Fusion ending. Adding so many new people just flattens the canvas and leaves characters like Laura popping up in her blazers at odd times, talking about nothing of importance. 

PS:  I saw Japanese Breakfast and Death Cab For Cutie last night and SO GOOD. 

Hope you are well. Thoughts to the Canadians. 

CHEERS !!

5 comments:

  1. OMG, what a great show with those two groups!! I saw Japanese Breakfast a few years ago anf they were fantastic. Love Death Cab!
    LindaV

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do it? Great SS for a bland GH. Thanks!
    Same day all week for most.
    I recall reading way back that FV was not recasting Maxie. Why I don't know. As you said she has been recast 16 times already.
    About 16...nothing. Kind of like Jason's return.
    I miss Ned, Olivia, Leo, Michael, Jacinda, Outback and a few others.
    I had a feral cat once that I named Popcorn. Liked him better than this stupid whatever it is. Trina is another ruined character put in a sudden career change.
    Jeff Kober got two Emmy noms. GH and The Pitt. Way to go. NLG said she didn't enter the contest this year and I'm guessing some others didn't either. But a shout out to BTG! They did great first time around.
    It's a beautiful day here. Still thinking of the horrors up north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did like the scene between Joss and Trina, and the pairing of Ava and Ethan continues to amuse me. The rest of the show lately is a mixed bag.

    I am soooooo glad that Tracy mentioned AJ's murder. My big hope is that whenever Maurice Bernard is ready to retire, Sonny is put on trial and convicted for the cold-blooded murder of unarmed FBI agent John Cates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all. 103 degrees here. I know that Karen would want to know. Ha ha ha. I think they should change the Emmy nominations process a little. Right now, when an actor/ress is nominated it is for the entire year, althought they submit one or two scenes that showcase their work. I think there should be 2 different acting awards.

    1. The current award for the entire year. should encompass all the scenes they are in throughout the 12 months and their body of work
    2. an additional award for just the one episode. "Outstanding Actress in an episodic performance". some actor/ress are only on for a few months and then are gone. there should be an award for a stand alone, single performance.

    I don't feel it would be fair to have a performer on for 12 months compete with someone on for 3 weeks who gave a good performance.

    Where would Erica Slezak fit in? Is she a guest star? supporting actress? she wasn't on the entire year. But if she DID choose to submit, where would it be?

    This was the first time in 11 years that no GH actress was nominated for Outstanding Actress.
    Let that sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m really surprised that Amanda Setton was nominated. Her same expressions all the time are so predictable - open mouth and surprised look. I think Kelly T did a better job and even Eden.
    LindaV

    ReplyDelete

SUNDAY SURGERY: SIXTEEN CANDLES

  In case you didn't realize all the "16" references, our paparazzi pal Sloan got them for you. Clever but really not a huge c...