What a difference a week makes. I enjoyed the show and wasn't floundering or wanting to turn it off. Why? Three things: Scenes were longer, dialog was more intricate and focus was tighter. All I really ask is for things to flow and the scenes to be compelling. It wasn't an A week but it was a solid B in my book.
Yes, there's still a lot to discuss but for once, I might shine a light on the good things!
Why not get your fave cider and donut? October is here! Let's GO GO!
Big thx to Sloan for 90% the photos this week...David for fillers and Sonya for re-recap dailies!
Some of my blogs offer summary basics. Others go more in depth into the stories. This is one of those. Hope you don't get too bored with my meanderings.
MOVIN' TO MAINE: Powerful Lulu and Charlotte scenes played out, especially in the wake of what's happening in the news. Not only did Lulu touch on the fact that Charlotte put herself in danger (what if he kissed you and drove you to an unknown location!) she also read her the riot act on false reporting. Alexa and Bluesy did a great job with this material. I know I criticize but when delivered, I say so. Whether or not Valentin and Lulu would really send Char to boarding school is moot right now. BB is leaving for college and TPTB decided not to recast at this juncture. So there you have it. Georgie needs to move back from Australia to finish her Junior/Senior year while living with Felicia and Mac. There! See, I solve so many problems.
I LEARNED IT FROM YOU! I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!! Those old fried egg drug commercials were on my mind a lot this week. From Charlotte pointing it out to Valentine to the powerful Danny and Jason scenes, it just resonated. Danny tells Jason that he and Charlotte basically had no one else but each other to figure things out when their dads were MIA. Jason tells Carly that he'd basically would have done the same for her (or more) back in the day. I liked their talk about being young and not seeing the big picture. That's what maturing does for you!
SNOTTY SCOUT: Moving along with the teen-scene, ol' Scout is certainly getting her brat going! She's done a 180 on Dad that's for sure. She was angry with him right and left for keeping her from her family. Now? She's trying to deal with the fact that everyone thinks he's scum while still loving him as her father. Have to put in here the scene when Lulu sees them kissing but then gives Rocco/Scout time to jump up before she enters the room. That's growth right there!
FALSE INFORMATION: Here we go again!! Everyone and their mother believes Sonny had Sidwell and by association, Curtis beaten in Pentonville. Can Curtis, Jordan and Trina BE more wrong? Well, yes-- see Isaiah. Given the fact the guy stated Sonny's NAME to them should be the first clue it's a set up. BUT! Here's the thing: Divine Irony is at play here because hardly anyone believes Sonny. Why? Mob Boss past is coming to haunt you. I really wish Laura was around because I'd love to see her reaction. She's close to Curtis as well-- would she stick by Sonny or jump the fence? Dante/Sonny stuff was powerful and Dom Z was spectacular with his material. I also like that Ric is standing by his brother. Gio's not even sure he believes Grandpa! So Sonny has Ric, Jason and probably Carly in his corner. That's it.
SAVE MY QUEEN: UGH... Drew is bad enough. Ava throwing in with him is just pissing me off. Like I've said before, her character has gone through many changes throughout the years and not having a custody fight over her non-existent kid was one that was welcome. Now she's all in this Drew MESS--including Nina going to Steinmaur. The story for these two has shifted from the burying of Brennan to setting Sonny up for a fall. I don't see a good way out of this. Well, unless she murders Drew, then all is forgiven. My other thought is to say Fk it and have Ava take over Sonny's territory. She's a Jerome after all and we know Maura can deliver. Certainly would give a new life to the character.
LIGHTER FARE: I'm giving kudos to the Carly/Britt/Lucas scenes because they were a fun, natural addition to this week's show. The three of them can deliver very casual dialog with sass and conviction.
TENNIS, ANYONE? Brook dunks Michael in Lake ONTARIO after realizing he's been setting things up for her marriage to fail. Why did I like these scenes? Brook is a smart cookie and knows manipulation better than anyone. Finding out about Michael was icing on the cake. She is at first furious with him then, after Chase doubts her intentions for moving, seems to realized he IS the enemy.
WILLOW'S WORLD: Hear me out. It was refreshing to see Willow wield her political power this week because it could really move a story forward. I don't want to see any more of the inside of Pentonville than I have to so Curtis is somehow going to have to get out of there. Ergo, I do not care if Congress woman Wills gets him a pardon. Nope. There's way more strife in him out of jail than in. Now we also know that Tristan can be swayed by something as easy as being owed a political favor. Not quite sure I buy into the 'destroying Sonny' angle but there you go. Again, I'm intrigued.
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO...: Sidwell? He's on death's door, going into surgery and then... crickets. One of those weird GH time warps that exists on our soap.
OTHER MOMENTS OF NOTE: (these make sense to me, but maybe not to you!!)
TRACEY/DANNY/LEMONS: Yes, I noted the $80 bowl of lemons. What ARE they doing with all of those? Tracey gave sage advice to young Danny and the dialog was rich and full of history. If anyone knows about fighting with your sibling, it's Tracey. Just loved them together.
DR TRISTAN: This is the first week I've felt like he fit into scenes. Interacting with Anna and Curtis and accepting Willow's proposal just fit. One chink in the armor showed me he's willing to compromise to gain political favor. Intriguing.
VALENTIN AND ANNA: Loved their talk at the Metro about parenting and Val's guilt over hauling Charlotte all over the world while on the run. He was proud of her for being cunning and independent but also realizes that could be a double edged-sword. JPS and FH always deliver, that's for sure.
TEENS: I thought they all delivered this week. I'm not always happy with them but they did a nice job.
LINE OF THE WEEK: Jordan to Portia: "Wow, he must be one hell of a lay"!!
STILL NEEDS FIXIN:
ADA and Sonny--no chemistry and just repeat upon repeat
Either have Quinn/Simon on or drop that storyline. Also see: Serena
The JJE story is moving so slow and I SO don't care. Soon "Jude" Newbie number 8 will be introduced. *sigh* PS Joss is no CEO of a billion dollar corporation ..at ALL.
Get Olivia and Ned on more; Leo as well. An autistic teen would be a great addition
Avery? Where for art thou Avery?
So, all in all a decent week for me. I did watch 2 episodes on Hulu which I love because no commercials. The show flies by and flows so much better. I know people are split about the Sonny material but I for one am liking him in this position. Having to plead for people to believe you isn't pretty, especially for a 'powerful' man--especially your own family. He's not in control now. The week was pretty much centered on the Pentonville beating and the teens which really helped to make my viewing more pleasurable. I didn't even have to think about all the background stuff at all. I like how Molly was sprinkled into some scenes about Scout as well. Having Mac and Felicia on is always a treat and this time the delivered some history that Emma needed to hear. Jury is out on Monet. She's feisty and at least related to one person on canvas. BUT-- Jordan is going to leave to get her scars fixed and there goes scenes between the two! I can never figure this show out. LOL... Having rich backstories come to light sooner rather than later can make or break a character imo. Hmm, we shall see!!
There was a lot of discussion this time and if you made it to the end, congratulations. I really didn't even touch on other parts of the show like Trina/Joss because my bandwidth just ran right out. Have a great Sunday.
CHEERS!
No comments:
Post a Comment