So, we've seen the Couric news...and here's my take. I have heard (and said it awhile ago) that producer Jill Phelps may be out -- if that happens, we may be thinking more long-term for the show. (I think, what the hell do I know though, right?) Frankly, I'm not a network exec and have no clue how that crazy-assed business really works. All I can do is pass on what I hear from people in the industry and soap folks..and then Wait. Just like everyone else.
So, Let's lay out the possibilities ok?
NOTE: This is all based on the fact the "Chatty Couric" show is a go for Sept. 2012 *
1. Katie's show goes in the Oprah time slot. It's syndicated so could be a match (Dr. Oz has reportedly said he's taking that market but that could be just for a year). If so, GH stays where it is, The Chew and Revolution stay in the other spots.
2. The Katie show is slated to slip into the 3pm timeslot, and depending on the success/failure of The Chew or The Revolution, GH moves into one of their spots if things are cancelled.
3. ABC really does want totally OUT of 'scripted daytime' and GH is toast no matter what happens. Frons has said in interviews that the ratings had better go up OR ELSE.. and in that case, we can kick, scream and fight all for naught.
4. I win the LOTTO, we create the WUBS TV-NET and I buy all the soaps. They live in glory (and with fan written storylines) FOREVER!!!
This doesn't mean the soaps or GH couldn't be picked up by another net, or another something out there in cableville. We are a strong, loyal fanbase, and although we are 'OLD' and use our DVRs way too much, we do have some buying power, damn it.
As for me? I'm continuing on like I always have-- watching the show and being either thrilled or disappointed. Same with OLTL. I will continue to try to get people to watch what I think is a fabulous show, and when it's canned and the ratings are stellar, we can all at least know that we supported something deserving. GH needs to step up the game and I totally think that Garin Wolf has a long haul ahead of him. Three key players are leaving. I'm banking on the ELQ news and the "Crimson" stuff. We shall see. I will be watching. (not that I count because I'm not a Nielson person but what the hey). I will be blogging and scoopin'.
SCENE of the Week: HAS to be Brenda finding that dead body and screaming like a banshee. Just because it cracked me the hell up!! LOL
FUN NEW Poll up and see who won "SONNY's MATCH" last week on WUBS NET
* I made that name up, but if they use it, I want money for it. :)